I'm taking a quick break from my prep work to move us to my workplace. The above is the room I've staked out. My sister will join us there. I think we should be reasonably comfy, at least until the power goes out.
The weather is getting scarier. Voluntary evac. for Leon County - which has NEVER been evac'd before. Except for those in mobile homes. Other people will be entering the building as well. The Red Cross decided to move their shelter to a nearby school, so we have room. I'm glad there will be a few, but not many, others in the building.
I'm packing for two levels: immediate needs until at least Tuesday morning. And in case I return to complete devastation, I'm also packing those items I must have in case I need to rebuild, like my laptop, e-reader, iPod and all the cats' food, medications, plus their favorite items. Also, critical documents like my birth certificate and SS card. I made a list! I love lists.
The danger with Harvey was massive flooding; Irma is bringing high winds, sustained winds. Frame houses are likely to suffer structural collape (roof gone, walls cave in) - which my renter's insurance WILL pay for. I have a basic policy, as long as the water enters somewhere other than the bottom.
The cats are freaked. Both are in hiding, however they can't get under the bed. We all know how much fun it is getting a cat out from under the bed.
I don't know when power will be restored. I'm reasonably confident that we will be quite safe in the other building. Past that, I cannot say what my life will be like post-Irma. Probably it will be nothing more than inconvenient.
And now my laptop is powering down and will be packed away. I hope to post an update in a couple of days. Please pray for all of us in Irma's path.
- Toby, Leia and Cathy