On Friday a terrible thing happened to us. We were lured HERE:
And when we were finally released from our purrrison, we were confronted with THIS:
Our bedroom, off limits to US, the rightful rulers here. And oh, furriends, there was much noise!
Revenge, we will haz it.
We got a new bed. The noise came from the delivery guys destroying the old box springs to get it down the stairs. In case you haven't had the pleasure of purchasing a new bed recently,
I thought I'd share from my experiences:
1. Everything you Google about the mattress buying experience is true. I promise you. Tiring, frustrating, expensive, and eventually, they all start to blend into each other. To make a good choice you will almost certainly have to visit multiple stores. I hit 6, with more than one visit to some.
2. There is no way to comparison shop. Don't waste your time. They all have price match guarantees but there is simply no real way to take advantage of that. I tried hard.
3. The in store sample will be much softer than what you get. When it arrives, walk on it, or walk with your knees, to help the breaking in period. Sounds strange but it helps with the compression. There WILL be a breaking in period; don't expect to love it the first night. I liked mine but didn't love it. It takes about a week for the settling in.
4. Be careful about logistics for delivery. My stairs are odd - a landing at each end with a bit of a curve. The bottom one was the trouble spot for us. I had no idea that this might even be an issue.
5. There is a chemical smell. I opened the window and aimed my floor fan on high on the bed to help waft out the smell. Hence the bedroom door closing.
6. Oh, and do NOT skip the 15 minute test on each one. You have to lay in your sleep position that long to allow for a reasonable idea of what this will do for you. It's weird but you get used to it quickly.
7. Today's mattresses are big and HEAVY critters. Seriously think about getting a new, quality frame for it.
8. Think carefully about regular vs. low profile foundations; the one in the store was lower than the one I ended up with because I didn't consider that. This matters to my aging cats. And to me - I'm short.
I do like my new bed. I loved the store sample and fully expect to love this one in due time,
once it softens a bit. This one is the softest one of quality they had in their store too.
It's just new, and a bit stiff.
I did NOT love anything about the buying experience.